One issue I’ve found using Microsoft Access as a front end to MySQL is that when running an update query I often got an error saying the record was not updated due to a lock violation. It turns out if the data Access is updating is the same as the existing values then it gives this message, for instance if you wee trying to set a column value to 1 and the column value was already 1.

I’ve found two ways around this: Firstly you could loop through the records to be updated and check if the values actually do need updating or simply suppress the warning in VBA code using docmd.showwarnings false followed by docmd.showwarnings true after running the query.

This would however suppress all warnings whilst the query is running so if there are any other errors you won’ know about it.